This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
Workshop: Putting the "Play" in "Cosplay" 

Hi guys!

Since this will be my 6th time at Otakuthon, I decided I wanted to try my hand at running a workshop. The basic gist of my idea is a workshop on learning how to roleplay and act like the character you're cosplaying. I'd cover things like researching a character's personality, copying their physical movements, and mimicking their voice and speech patterns. There'd be a little bit of "theory" at the beginning, but hopefully most of it will be on-your-feet activities and games.

Basically, what I'm looking for here is whether there's any interest in a workshop like this, and if so, what kind of things you'd like to see in it. Since this is my first workshop, all advice is welcome! As of right now, I don't need other people running it with me (since I already a couple of friends offering to help out), but that could change in the near future.

Thanks!

Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:17 am

It is a really good idea~!! :') I really hope this will be accepted, because it sure sounds great~!

Dimanche / Sunday : Sakata Gintoki [Gintama]

Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:44 am

Oh cool I think that this panel idea compliments my panel idea (How to start cosplaying). This should be really interesting to see! Are you planning on giving some sort of lecture or having an open space for demonstrations?

Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:53 pm

Mae-Gwyn wrote:
Oh cool I think that this panel idea compliments my panel idea (How to start cosplaying). This should be really interesting to see! Are you planning on giving some sort of lecture or having an open space for demonstrations?

I'm not really sure what you mean by "demonstrations". I'd probably have a quick lecture-type thing at the beginning, going over the steps (along the lines of "choose a character you like", "research their backstory", "practice their physical and vocal quirks", etc.), and then play games that help enforce these ideas. Hopefully, most of the games will involve everyone at the same time (for example, an activity about status where everyone walks around as high-status or low-status and interacts as though at a party), but some might be done in pairs or small groups in front of everyone else. Since I'm fairly experienced at this sort of thing, I'll happily be explaining the games by doing it a bit myself, but for the most part I'll be observing and helping, not joining in.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:48 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]