This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
Anime for female viewers need Canadian T.V. air space 

One of the sad things about anime broadcast in Canada is that in the past few years, there has not been a female audience-targeting anime shown on any Canadian T.V. network, which makes me feel sorry for the women in Canada who are anime fans since not all anime enjoyed by male audiences suit the tastes of female audiences, and while the anime DVD industry of North America is still licensing from Japan anime for female audiences, no effort was made to bring a few of them on the air.

Here in Canada, we have two T.V. series and movie entertainment networks targeting women (Showcase Diva and W Network), and in my opinion, they should include some space for shoujo/josei anime so that it would easy for women to find what kinds of anime they best like they can access on T.V. before deciding what anime DVDs to buy later when/if available, rather than leave them to have to often rely on downloadable fansubs to get their fix, because remember, without Canadian T.V. broadcasts, not only will there be difficulty for any female viewer-targeting anime to make DVD sales profits in Canada, but it also will mean the lack of potential for Japan to authorize related merchandising within the North American continent.

What about you the fans? Do you think including anime on women-targeting Canadian T.V. networks is a good idea, and if so, what anime would you like to see get air time one them?

Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:53 am
Profile WWW

When it comes to anime, I don't think there is any kind of programming outside of stations like Teletoon / Teletoon Retro. I heard that Toonami is back on the Cartoon Network in the US....I don't know if the channel is available in Canada but that's probably the best shot people have of watching something other than Astro Boy. Some cable companies offer Anime Network on Demand, but I think only 2 providers carry it in Quebec.

The only time I can remember having anime on a mainstream channel was IFC during last year's Christmas season when they aired marathons of old series like Street Fighter V, Virus Buster Serge and Noein. I remember Tele-Quebec airing old Miyazaki movies like Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa in the Christmas season years ago but let's face it: chances of getting anime, shoujo or any other kind, on mainstream channels are slim to none.

Also, I don't think that shoujo series are big sellers when it comes to DVD sales. I remember buying the first half of Glass Mask two years ago and am still waiting for the 2nd half. As for any type of anime : no sales = no releases. With the sad state of the Anime market in North America, if a series struggle to even get 5 000 units sold, how can you market the shows to TV channels ? Running infomercials or dead air is more profitable that acquiring shows coming from such a niche market. (Not to mention the question of acquiring TV rights and such...)

Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:35 pm

Shinji-Kun wrote:
When it comes to anime, I don't think there is any kind of programming outside of stations like Teletoon / Teletoon Retro. I heard that Toonami is back on the Cartoon Network in the US....I don't know if the channel is available in Canada but that's probably the best shot people have of watching something other than Astro Boy. Some cable companies offer Anime Network on Demand, but I think only 2 providers carry it in Quebec.

The only time I can remember having anime on a mainstream channel was IFC during last year's Christmas season when they aired marathons of old series like Street Fighter V, Virus Buster Serge and Noein. I remember Tele-Quebec airing old Miyazaki movies like Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa in the Christmas season years ago but let's face it: chances of getting anime, shoujo or any other kind, on mainstream channels are slim to none.

Also, I don't think that shoujo series are big sellers when it comes to DVD sales. I remember buying the first half of Glass Mask two years ago and am still waiting for the 2nd half. As for any type of anime : no sales = no releases. With the sad state of the Anime market in North America, if a series struggle to even get 5 000 units sold, how can you market the shows to TV channels ? Running infomercials or dead air is more profitable that acquiring shows coming from such a niche market. (Not to mention the question of acquiring TV rights and such...)

Which makes me wonder if anime has truly failed to gain acceptance in the Canadian mainstream (with the exception of a few titles), as if anime conventions are not enough to give anime the boost towards such. Perhaps, too many Canadians (including thsoe involved in the media) felt that most anime are too foreign for them to identify with. However, if anime is mainstream, then either a) the Canadian media exces are just ignoring the fan community or b) they're restricting anime airtime space to protect North American film/TV industries in the same way the Chinese media restricts anime air time space to protect the Chinese animation industry. Just a hunch of mine.

Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:37 pm
Profile WWW

When i saw Steamboy on TVA, last fall i think, i rally hoped they would show more of those epic anime movies instead of the cutesy family comedies...

Guess i was wrong...

Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:52 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]