This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
Going alone, who else is? 

Hi, So this would be my second time going alone because i'm the only one of my friends that have a passport. Anyone else in similar shoes and want to meet up or is there a group that already is doing that?

I'm from Massachusetts btw and AnimeBoston is my usual convention but nothing's new so I want to check out Otakuthon again ^_^.

Thanks, Josh

Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I'm going there alone/not alone.

I'm sharing a hotel room with 3 friends, but once at the Otakuthon, since we don't have the same tastes AT ALL, it probably will be me going my way and them going their way. And I don't have other friends that like Anime/Mangas. :P

I had fun last year being alone and going to the panels I wanted though.

Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:02 am

Im probably going alone too :/

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:16 pm

We should do a 'Get together' for all the Forever Alones :lol:

Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:24 pm

It is my first time at a convention and I was supposed to be alone, but a friend of mine may or may not come with me.

Should I be nervous? Because I sure am! :roll:

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Went alone. Was kinda boring, but lots of freedom at the same time I guess. Got to randomly chat with a few people over the weekend, but didn't really get to meet anybody. :(.....

Kind of disappointed.

Was a pretty good time for a first though, and grabbed a lot of loot, heheheh.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:06 pm

Yeah. Same here, felt the same way last year. You guys going next year? Maybe we can all meet up or something next year? I could start a Facebook group so we can connect?

Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I went pretty much alone too, I met the one who I shared my room with.... 3 times?

I'm agreeing on the Facebook thingie. All of us lonies can meet up and do stuffs together. Would make the Otakuthon experience more fun, in my opinion.

(at least, meeting up between panels, because I'm pretty sure someone's tastes is not the same as others :P )

Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:53 am

I did go there alone, but I may be have been 4 hours alone during the whole week end. During the waiting time for mascarade I didi some friends in the line up and went in with them and for the closing ceremony and for some panel. I've also seen some friends randomly.

The only thing that make you alone all the time in Otakuthon is being Timid. It's sure if you don't go speaking with anyone you'll stay alone.

Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:30 pm

I wasn't being timid. I initiated conversations with a lot of people, but I found them to be rather hard to socialize with. Even none of the girls from the speed dating event, which was really fun, even nodded their heads to me after the event. (only saw a couple though, and they might've not recognized me since I was dressed differently, but still.)

Hardly any eye contact with anybody during the whole weekend, nobody did as much as smile back at me, everyone was just minding their own business or too busy being with their friends.

Yeah, always go without expectations they said, but I thought the otaku crowd would be a lot more amiable, closely-knit and outgoing.

I mean, I think I have lots of things to bring to people, lots of funny and interesting stories and experiences, I've watched tons of anime during my life and could definitely spark up fun conversations... yet I've never felt so lonely in my life lol.

Even the characters that I recognized and liked and said hello to or waved at didn't respond back, with a few exceptions.

The only moment where I had "any" (erm, not quite literally but.) kind of interactions with people was at the LoL booth, where people were telling me how to play Ahri properly lol. It was a good lesson sure, and I appreciate the knowledge brought and conversations had, but dammit, I mean, I still think Archangel's Staff is a great buy for her !!...... lmao..... ;)....

Oh well. Next year, at least, I'll know what to expect, and how to behave -- to really go out to people if I want things to happen, instead of expecting geeks to be all straightforward and outgoing lmao. xD.....

Anyway, the thing as a whole was still a great moment of my life for me - and I got to buy lots of awesome loot to decorate my room with :mrgreen: ....., but it'll only remain a 4 star event sadly because everything that happened there for me was basically from my own doing and there was very little interactions with some of the people I respect and recognize myself the most with. :(.....

Everything else was mostly just great. 8).....

(yeah I know I was wearing really nice clothes I guess, and probably looked somewhat like some kind of a douche from nowhere, but it was just an honest effort to get my best Ryuji out. lmao ..... and I WAS wearing a bandana to make up for it. 8).....)

Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:18 pm

Yeah, i dont agree that it has anything to do with being timid... it is really others being busy like black moon said. I have no problem with getting small talk with others but thats usually as far as it gets. when your in a line... you'll talk for a little and then after its over will separate. I wouldnt call that making friends.

At AnimeBoston, there was a loners group i joined and thats where i got friends and still have today. Which was why i was hoping to set one up for otakuthon. And im already starting building the FB page for next year.

Also, Probably not a real issue but since so many people speak french in Montreal I havent really met many people speaking english by default. I know you are all bilingual but its less easy to jump into a conversation when i cant understand it.

Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:50 am
Profile YIM WWW

Black Moon wrote:

(yeah I know I was wearing really nice clothes I guess, and probably looked somewhat like some kind of a douche from nowhere, but it was just an honest effort to get my best Ryuji out. lmao ..... and I WAS wearing a bandana to make up for it. 8).....)

You where cosplaying as Ryuji ? from which anime.. blue exorcist? that would have been cool to see. next year maybe?

Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:54 am
Profile YIM WWW

Nah, not cosplaying lol. I was just meaning that I put on some really nice clothes (matching dress shirt and pants, while I'm usually pretty casual/messy even.), and made myself look as good as I possibly could, for a very special occasion.

Just in case there were any Minoris/Taigas around, ya know. (yeah, Ryuji from Toradora!. :p....)

It's one of the first anime I've ever watched, so it goes far back, but I'm pretty sure I remember him getting all charming for a special occasion in the anime. .....

Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:13 am

oh still cool, i never watched that anime. Ill have to check it out and probably add it to my long list of anime to watch.

Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:18 am
Profile YIM WWW

Yeah, you should definitely watch it. Still one of my favorite series watched so far. 26 episodes of awesomeness.

The characters are great, the story is really neat, and it's kind of unique too. And the romance does is not feel cumbersome or overdone at all.

You really might dig it. :>.....

Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:04 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 15 posts ]