This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ] 
Commentaires sur Otakuthon/Feedback on Otakuthon 2015 
Super Moderator / Forum Director

Ce topic est là afin de donner tous vos commentaires (positifs ainsi que négatifs) sur Otakuthon cette année afin d'aider le personnel à améliorer le congres pour l'année prochaine!

------------------------------------

This thread is here in order for you to let us know your thoughts on Otakuthon this year (good and bad) to help the staff improve the convention for next year!

Costuming.org forums

Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:48 pm
Profile WWW

Hey there! Thanks to the Organization making an enjoyable weekend. This is actually my 3th year at Otakuthon, but this time all the weekend. i went to 2010 and 2014 but only Saturday with a good friend.
Also i could love share my experience with the convention of what i enjoyed and what not. hopefully its all right so. : )

what i did enjoyed so far.

Friday morning lineup for the pass weekend was fast, i was early too but overall it didn't take much time tho. pretty awesome.
I enjoyed some Panels, the Fire emblem one was pretty hilarious funny. unfortunately i missed a little bit of it. Touhou game was pretty awesome too. i hear of Touhou but never seen or played.
missed the Legend Of Zelda Panel sadly, but hopefully it has a other one next year! also dat Dojo pose panel was hype.

What i did dislike and meh a little.

Sunday Lineup during the morning, a lot of traffic too either at the end, tho its fine and understandable.
Dealer room and overprice, tho i can't blame you for this, since your Organization dont deal with the price of this, but i will to rant about it a little bit. I bought @ Punchimas for 40$ friday for someone i know, but for a plush it should not be overpriced like this! Saturday they were 35$ for each, its was still overpriced but i can't resist and picked one before it goes gone. I seen Neptunia and BlazBlue Animation for 85$ on Blue-ray, what is this travesty? Kill La Kill Volume 1 for around what 45 50$ its a big nope for me. god i wanted to buy a favorite anime season so bad this year, but i guess its more safety to buy on the web. Also god these fake Daki's are small.

I checked out the Cafeteria since i was hungry during friday, until i noticed the priced once again. if it was something for 5$ i could probably giving my money, but hey i can eat some McDonald for 5,50$ with Jrs and Cheeseburgers, so more power for me.

The Gaming Room.

Hope it wont offend you guys, but this Gaming Room was just very underwhelming...

Who thought it was a amazing idea to put BlazBlue CP Extended on Xbone? gosh the Xone pad is shit in general am sorry but its not a fighting game console you know.
You guys should it done more Setups for fighting games, not enough of Guilty Gear Xrd, not enough of BlazBlue CP Extended, not enough of P4AU and UNIEL. Its a anime Convention, i thought you guys could it bring Air Dashing games. They Are Anime games! We normally have scene for these games downtown, and most of us playing on PS3. Also it has a lot of empty spots close to some setup, i noticed the CRT TV for Melee this sunday, was it from you guys part? Or the smash people? But Overall again, No Ones plays BlazBlue on XBone, hopefully you guys know it now.

To end the sunday night i followed pretty much my friends crew, we went to chinatown to eat a excellent china restaurant where i do not having the name of the restaurant overall. but it was very delicious and epic. I really did enjoyed my experience with Otakuthon this year and am really looking for the next convention next year.

Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:51 am

Overall the con was great. 2 things that did bother me;

After 10 years, I expected Otakuthon to graduate from the cardboard/plastic sleeves badges to laminated ones. I feel that Otakuthon dropped the ball on marking the 10th year anniversary with something as simple as making our badge outstanding. I know laminated badges cost more but all in all, with the tenure that Otakuthon now has, it's time we get grown up badges.

Circulation in the dealers was nightmare. One entrance, one exit. Please reconsider - it's understandable to want to keep a certain flow but when you're in a hurry and you need to exit the dealers, yet the path is filled with booths and shoppers so it's impossible to circulate... If you must have only one entrance, one exit, make it that there is no tables between these two so it's not impossible to reach them quickly. or you know... add more.

Did not attend shows/masquerades so I cannot give proper feedback on that.

Finally, It'd be cool if for the next years, Otakuthon joined the "cosplay is not consent" movement - in the guide and with banners. While the staff at the palais is present, I've seen some shit this week-end and it appears they simply do not know how to respond to certain situations.

> my name is Shmuberry. Old username is old!

Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:19 am
Profile WWW

Mon feedback de ma 5ieme année d'Otak(5 ans que j'y participe,sa passe vite),tout ces bien dérouler,pas de file fatiguante pour la salle des marchand ou les escalier,in general j'ai pas eu de problème,ca allait pas mal bien cette année.

Par contre,j'ai eu quelque pti truc qui mon un peu chicotter,comme par exemple les gens qui font des shoot beaucoup trop près des escaliers roulant dans le Hall pour monté au 5ieme(Ca arrive pas mal chaque année),ca fait des bloquage,pis les gens qui faisait pas attention et qui nous rentrait solidement dedant(mais bon ca arrive dans chaque convention mais ma copine à eu des propps brisé)mais ca s'pas de votre faute si y'a des gens pas vigilant ou pas poli,y'a aussi eu un pti problème en sortant du concert de flow,

Pour précisé,Le problème avec Flow,ca à été pour sortir,ca avait faite un gros motton,ca à bloquer,pis la t'avais une madame qui nous criais de façon hyper agréssive de nous tasser,pour apprendre après dix minute ou 15 minutes que ceux qui devait se tasser c'est ceux qui voulait acheter la marchandise quand moi et ma blonde ont voulais justes partir par ce qu'ont était présser d'aller ailleurs.

Sinon comme d'hab la bouffe est un peu chère,mais si j'me souvient bien comme à chaque années c'est la faute du traiteur et non de la convention et anyways,le 3/4 du temps j'mange de le chinatown ou le complexé.

Y'a eu un panel(celui de Five Night at Freddys) ou les organisateur sont arrivé 20 minutes avant la fin laissant le monde en plan pendant un p'ti bout et les invité de bulle japon(qui avait des panels vraiment bien en passant) qui(j'espère) niaisait par ce que sa bitchais quand y' s'promenais ailleurs et ca à déranger quelques personne.

Mais sinon,pour ma 5ieme année d'Otakuthon ca à été merveilleux,j'ai adoré sa autant que mes première années,y'a pas eu de gros défault d'organisation,c'est juste vraiment des pti trucs qui m'ont chicotter,ca reste ma convention préféré!

Otakuthon 2013
Mini-MTL Comicon
Winter G-anime 2014
Anime North 2014
Otakuthon 2014
Summer G-anime 2015
Aussi un paquet de meet-up d'anime fan comme Animorency,Animeet,etc
Otakuthon 2015
Prochain Evenement ou Convention Animara Con or Geekfest or G-Anime

Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:28 am

ONE thing I forgot to mention.

FREE HUG signs. We need a ban on them. This year, they were up on picket signs and for some reason - many of those got a free pass by weapon check. I got swung in the face by a free hug picket sign three times on saturday (lucky I was wearing my face shell) but here's another reason they we should ban them;

" otakuthon really does have to get rid of the free hugs signs though… in the past at anime north, people were using those free hugs as a means to get close enough to people to pickpocket them. now all “free hugs” signs are banned. just sayin’" from zeekayart.

Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:48 am
Profile WWW

I'm not for or against free hug sign,but in a crowd with over 20 000 attendees.it's not by banning free hug sign that pickpocketing will be stop.
And aouch,they were up on a picket this year?

Otakuthon 2013
Mini-MTL Comicon
Winter G-anime 2014
Anime North 2014
Otakuthon 2014
Summer G-anime 2015
Otakuthon 2015

Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:06 am

C'était aussi ma 5ième année à l'Otakuthon pour moi aussi et j'y suis allé avec 2 de mes amis pour qui c'était leur première fois.

On commence par le mauvais et on finit sur le bien :P . Évidemment tout est de mon point de vue ! ^ ^

Volume dans la grande salle
Mon ami s'est plaint quelques fois pour le colume qui était trop fort dans la grande salle d'évènement, surtout lors de la cérémonie d'ouverture (? si je me rappelle bien) avec la musique au fond.

Maître de cérémonie lors de l'ouverture et fermeture
Je comprends que c'est un travail difficile mais celle qui parlait français semblait stressée et dès qu'elle ne savait plus quoi dire elle disait du n'importe quoi...

Photo...
Comme Shory a dit, cette année il y a eu BEAUCOUP de monde qui s'arrêtait presque devant les escaliers roulants pour prendre des photos sans qu'aucun staff leur dit de se tasser... Les autres années on s'arrêtait à peine devant et on se faisait dire de se tasser tout de suite.

Retard cérémonie de fermeture
Il y a eu un retard lors de la cérémonie d'ouverture et j'ai eu la chance de parler avec un bénévole après l'Otakuthon pour savoir que c'était un problème technique. C'est bien beau tout ça, mais nous avons jamais su qu'il allait avoir un retard pour ça. J'aurais bien aimé voir un bénévole ou membre du staff venir nous avertir qu'il y avait un problème technique qui empêchait le début de l'évènement. (Peut-être que quelqu'un est venu mais nous ne l'avons pas entendu du tout).

Mascarade
C'est bien de vouloir remplir toutes les places... Mais quand tu es un groupe de 5 et que tu veux rester ensemble, laisser nous ensemble ! -_- Nous étions rendus a la fin de la rangée et il restait 2 places nous sommes 5. Le bénévole voulais nous séparer pour remplir toutes les places. Probablement du stress a vouloir tout remplir amis elle ne s'est pas plaint lorsque nous sommes allé dans l'autre ranger les 5 ensemble.

Maintenant pour les trucs bien. 8)

Files d'attentes
Cette année, je n'ai eu aucun problème avec les files d'attente, c'était simple et assez clair (bon après 5 ans ça doit aider un peu...). Excepté qu'il y a un bon groupe de 7-8 personnes passé en dessous des rubans pour dépasser une ligne complète.

Cérémonie d'ouverture
Wahou... Cette année il y avait des invités qui étaient dans la salle.

Salle marchande
Je crois que les allées étaient plus large cette année ? Ou il y avait simplement moins de monde en même temps.

Les allées pour les pré-reg, les inscription et tout étaient très bien indiquer, aucune besoin de demander à un bénévole c'est quelle ligne. J,avais peur que ça prenne du temps vendredi matin suite à l'évènement qui commencee plus tôt et ça s'est passé plutôt vite.

Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:09 am

J'ai remarqué une très grande amélioration par rapport à l'année dernière au sujet des files interminables. Comme aux années précédant l'édition 2014, je n'ai jamais eu à attendre pour monter aux 5ième et 7ième étages. Pour en dire plus, je n'ai même pas eu à faire la file pour rentrer dans la salle marchande le vendredi à midi, fantastique! Nous avons atteint au-delà de 20 000 participants cette année et pourtant il était plus facile de se déplacer au Hall Viger à comparé à l'Otakuthon 2014. Bref, je suis très contente de voir à quel point les bénévoles ont écouté attentivement nos commentaires de l'année dernière afin de permettre une expérience plus agréable aux participants de cette année.

À présent, je vais faire une liste des choses à améliorer:

- Bingo Otakuthon au Café Cosplay le samedi de 16h à 17h30: Je vous en prie, ne plus JAMAIS faire de tirage pour déterminer qui participeront à chaque partie de Bingo. J'ai raté le Concours d'AMV (15h30 à 17h30) presque au complet à cause de cela. Je m'explique: à chaque année, c'est une tradition d'aller voir religieusement le Concours d'AMV, mais étant donné que mon petit copain n'avait jamais joué au Bingo Otakuthon (c'était sa deuxième année de participation à l'édition 2015), nous nous sommes mis d'accord que nous allions partir avant 16h du Concours d'AMV afin d'avoir une place assurée à la partie Bingo puisque j'y avais déjà joué auparavant à mon premier Otakuthon en 2011. Comme de raison, nous étions presque les premiers dans la file au Café Cosplay. J'aurais nettement préféré la politique «Premier Arrivé, Premier Servi», car après 4 parties de Bingo Otakuthon, ni le nom de mon amoureux ni mon nom avaient été pigés après plus d'une heure d'attente. Après les deux premières parties (il était bientôt 17h à ce moment-là), nous ne savions pas s'il était mieux d'attendre que la courte partie se finisse et de se croiser les doigts qu'un de nos deux noms soit pigé pour la troisième ou quatrième partie ou bien d'abandonner le Bingo Otakuthon pour écouter la fin du concours d'AMV. Au final, nous sommes partis à 15h15, frustrés d'avoir raté le concours d'AMV en plus ne pas avoir pu jouer au Bingo Otakuthon. Honnêtement, c'était très mal organisé de devoir attendre parfois une minute par personne avant qu'un participant prenne place à la partie après s'être fait appeler. C'est largement injuste d'être arrivé avant 16h et de ne pas pouvoir jouer alors que ceux qui sont arrivés à 17h10 ont été tout de suite pigés pour la 4ième partie.

- Concert Your Favourite Enemies le samedi de 21h à 22h30 : Est-ce que le groupe faisait exprès pour émettre autant de vibration et de vacarme? J'ai participé à un panel dans la salle 516C qui se trouve juste à côté de la salle de spectacle 517A. Nous essayions de jouer tranquillement une partie de Loup-Garou, mais le concert était si bruyant qu'on avait de la misère à entendre la panéliste crier dans son micro. Il y avait beaucoup de bourdonnement et de vibration dans notre salle au point d'en avoir mal à la tête... Peut-être que les salles ne sont pas bien insonorisées, mais ça ne tuera personne de diminuer le niveau de décibels lors des concerts.

- Gaming Room: Une unique station de jeu Mario Kart 8 et aucun Guitar Hero (Rock Band 3 n'était pas toujours jouable durant la fin de semaine) dans une Gaming Room est un crime à mon avis. Je pense n'avoir vu aucune console de NES, Super Nintendo, etc pour ceux qui aiment les jeux rétro. J'étais vraiment déçue, j'ai juste joué à ma 3DS pour les tournois Pokémon.

- Café Cosplay: Je rêve ou les prix ont encore augmenté cette année? Certains plats reviennent au fil des années, alors je ne comprends pas pourquoi les prix augmentent tandis que les portions restent les mêmes. Aussi, peut-être que j'aurais dû m'informer avant de proposer cette idée, mais je conseillerais de rajouter au menu un Bubble Tea sans lait, car j'adore cette boisson, mais j'y suis allergique si elle contient des produits laitiers. Peut-être est-ce à cause de la poudre qui rend la consistance du Bubble Tea de l'Otakuthon aussi épaisse, mais je n'ai pas voulu prendre de chance à en boire; donc, je devais aller au quartier chinois pour un bubble tea à base d'infusion de thé avec du sirop. Peut-être que je ne suis pas la seule qui a une préférence pour un goût plus «naturel» ;)

- Salle marchande: J'ai toujours peur d'acheter des figurines Nendroid en convention, car personne ne semble avertir les vendeurs qui détiennent des bootlegs. Je pense ne pas avoir à en dire plus là-dessus.

C'est tout ce que j'avais à dire de négatif sur l'Otakuthon 2015 :oops:

Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:35 pm
Profile WWW

Ah oui parlant du Concert Your Favourite Enemies, je me suis placé dans le fond de la salle au cas ou je voulais partir. Quand ça a commencé c'était tellement fort que je sentais que mon coeur allait sauter. Donc je peux comprendre que ça ai affecté les salles à côté. C'est sûr que ça aide pas que j'ai une très bonne audition. xd

- Concert Your Favourite Enemies le samedi de 21h à 22h30 : Est-ce que le groupe faisait exprès pour émettre autant de vibration et de vacarme? J'ai participé à un panel dans la salle 516C qui se trouve juste à côté de la salle de spectacle 517A. Nous essayions de jouer tranquillement une partie de Loup-Garou, mais le concert était si bruyant qu'on avait de la misère à entendre la panéliste crier dans son micro. Il y avait beaucoup de bourdonnement et de vibration dans notre salle au point d'en avoir mal à la tête... Peut-être que les salles ne sont pas bien insonorisées, mais ça ne tuera personne de diminuer le niveau de décibels lors des concerts.

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:25 pm

1) Sunday Bingo: Originally, I had gone to the early morning bingo (around 11AM) but I missed the round. I went to cosplay cafe bingo. Why were there 17 cards? Bingo is an oversized social activity that can take up to 100 people. Seriously, why 17 cards? The cafe was a bad place to have the bingo. It should have been in the board game hall or one of the large panel rooms.

2) Sunday photo ops at 2nd floor escalators: The second floor should not be used for photo ops PERIOD because too many people decide to take photo ops in FRONT of the stairs/escalators. This is a safety hazard especially for people descending from the 5th floor. When I came down, I nearly got crushed by the crowd at the foot of the escalator and the line of people that were behind me. I and several other people had to crawl under the barriers before we got injured. While this was happening, your staff really did nothing to manage the flow of people. Really, all they did was check our badges. Their job should also include to tell people to move faster because people have a tendancy to move slower than the escalator.

3) People who want to change into cosplay should change on the FOURTH FLOOR BATHROOMS. I discovered the fourth floor bathrooms this year. Those bathrooms are huge and specifically have a room that is meant for makeup/changing. They even have benches, counters and over twenty toilets!

4) Otakuthon souvenirs/chachskies are really crap and you should reconsider what you sell. They're not even really collectible like pins, prints or sew-on patches. Playing cards, post-its, dehydrated towels, ugly sports bag, stickers, like what the hell? All of it is unappealing and came from previous cons. At least MTL comic con 2014 had a reuseable grocery bag that actually looked nice. I thought about getting the shirt or playing card pad but I couldn't convince myself that it was worth the 20$ or 40$. I would definitely throw-in money for a pin or sew-on patch, but not a t-shirt. Every merchant in the con and every other can wants to sell us a shirt, but at some point, we can't only have con shirts. Pins and patches make great accessories and points of conversation.

5) This is actually something positive: Hen Da Ne merchants were not sing lewd songs. I don't know if you guys (Otakuthon staff) told them not to, or just was not around to hear them, but I'm glad that they toned it down. However, I still think tables selling adult material should be moved to one area of the con. A few years ago, I think adult material merchants used to be cordoned off from the rest of the con in one area.

6) This year, I spent more time in panels than on the expo hall. The only thing that bothered me was that a lot of panelists did not explain who they were or how to find them on the internet (ie give business cards, Facebook, Twitter, etc.). It's really weird walking into a panel listening to someone and wondering if they're credible or not.

7) Two panels that were similar: Cosplay pour taille plus and Cosplay & Body Image x Fitness 101 were almost the same thing in message although one focused on self-esteem while the other tried to focus on nutrition/motivation. I think they could have been combined to make one effective panel. I know the organisers can't control this but next time, I think one panel was enough.

8 ) I actually wanted to sell stuff at the garage sale but I didn't realise that there was a quota of 80 people.

9) There were some very excellent and very interesting panels given in Yaoithon. I especially recommend "Realism" of Yaoi and I also hope that Notation comes back next year. She gives a great panel and is great speaker, probably because she speaks from an academic view. It feels more like a lecture and I like it. The Starfighter Eclipse panel was hosted by some super funny hosts.

10) As far as the expo hall is concerned, I find the selection of vendors stale (excluding artist alley). Everyone sells the same thing, mostly figures, manga and DVDs at various prices. Personally, I was looking for cosplay merch or clothing vendors. I was hoping to find patterns, costume pieces or maybe accessories. I was even looking for manga/drawing supples. There was only one vendor who sold Copic(?) markers at 5$ a pop but I didn't find many drawing or ref books. I think the expo hall needs more variety in merchants.

Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:24 pm

kikurukina wrote:
2) Sunday photo ops at 2nd floor escalators: The second floor should not be used for photo ops PERIOD because too many people decide to take photo ops in FRONT of the stairs/escalators. This is a safety hazard especially for people descending from the 5th floor. When I came down, I nearly got crushed by the crowd at the foot of the escalator and the line of people that were behind me. I and several other people had to crawl under the barriers before we got injured. While this was happening, your staff really did nothing to manage the flow of people. Really, all they did was check our badges. Their job should also include to tell people to move faster because people have a tendancy to move slower than the escalator.

I almost forget about it to be really honest with you. Thing tho did bothering me a lot was they were on the middle of the left side escalators way. am not trying to be impolite but you could use the center beside of the escalators, like its a very huge middle too. well hopefully they could fix this next year too.

Edited: also i noticed you guys didn't confirmed the next convention dates too. hopefully its soon.

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:54 am

kikurukina wrote:

A lot of people were bothered by cosplayer taking picture in front of the escalator and at one point it was very frustrating

kikurukina wrote:
As far as the expo hall is concerned, I find the selection of vendors stale (excluding artist alley). Everyone sells the same thing, mostly figures, manga and DVDs at various prices. Personally, I was looking for cosplay merch or clothing vendors. I was hoping to find patterns, costume pieces or maybe accessories. I was even looking for manga/drawing supples. There was only one vendor who sold Copic(?) markers at 5$ a pop but I didn't find many drawing or ref books. I think the expo hall needs more variety in merchants

I don't think Otakuthon can do a lot of things about the sellers,they decide what they sell and they usually pay for the booth.Tell that to the vendors or ask if some Cosplay/Drawing supplies vendors are willing to go to the con next year,but Otakuthon is not to blame for that one.

Otakuthon 2013
Mini-MTL Comicon
Winter G-anime 2014
Anime North 2014
Otakuthon 2014
Summer G-anime 2015
Otakuthon 2015

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:34 am

Daisy-Fan wrote:
I almost forget about it to be really honest with you. Thing tho did bothering me a lot was they were on the middle of the left side escalators way. am not trying to be impolite but you could use the center beside of the escalators, like its a very huge middle too. well hopefully they could fix this next year too.

Edited: also i noticed you guys didn't confirmed the next convention dates too. hopefully its soon.

The program book says August 5-7, 2016.

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:47 am

** Commentaires en anglais seulement….trop long pour faire la version bilingue **

7th straight Otakuthon and, while it was the not the “ Yay ! Best OT Ever~ ! " of last year, I had a very good weekend. I’d rank this one maybe 3rd or 4th in the ones I’ve been to.

Thumbs up

- I really hope that having a whole day on Friday will become something permanent. I also liked that the opening ceremony started at 1PM. It gives time to go see the marketplace ( since that usually the first thing people do ) before the con “truly begins”

- I didn’t have any problem with the space available and the layout was the best it’s ever been. Of course you’ll have your bottlenecks here and there at the exit of the marketplace or after the main events, but that’s to be expected and they don’t usually last for long. They had the whole PdC for the first time, so the amount of space available ain’t gonna get any bigger. With the con getting more popular each and every year, the traffic will only get worse. That being said, I hope that nobody else rented the PdC for next year so we will have the same amount of space and layout one more time.

- Good job on this year’s bigger tote bag !

- The Angela and FLOW concerts were very good and worth the price of admission. I had two totally different points of view ( in the first rows for Angela and the very last row for FLOW ) but each of the shows were great. Along with last year’s Final Fantasy concert, I hope to see more “Premium” events like these in future years. There was only one thing that really, really sucked, but I’ll get to it later.

- The industry panels and guests. I really liked the Funimation and Sega panels. Full of surprises with Sega over the weekend : The Sega Hard Girls anime was surprisingly, legit funny; I ran into Sega dude coming out of the crapper ( and yes, he did washed his hands for those wondering ) and I’m one of the frickin’ basta…ugh, lucky fella who won a Sega Hard Girl Figurine at their panel ( this one ) . It says in the link that there’s only 400 of those created and only sold at a con last year in Japan. Have I gotten my hands on something that deserves to stay in its box ?

- ....Legit question by the way. It’s the first and only anime figurine I own and, while there are some cool ones that interest me, I would never spend the ridiculous amount of money they sell those.

- 404’s. Always a highlight of the weekend. Keep inviting them for years to come.

Thumbs in the middle

- Maybe I just had a “meh” experience or I’ve been spoiled by the awesome VA guests of the past two years, but I thought the panels and autographs signings for this year’s voice actors were really standard stuff. I don’t know if the Friday and Saturday autographs sessions were better, but the Sunday session wasn’t much. Not that it was bad or rushed or anything like that, but it sure was unspectacular : Hello, Autograph ( or crooked sharpie line in Collen Clickenbeard’s case ) with no dedication or extra on it, boom over in 20 seconds. Again, not godawful bad, but I’ve seen way better

Thumbs down

- As great as the Angela concert was, the autograph session on Saturday had the dirt-worst policy I’ve ever seen. I don’t have any idea how the Friday session went, but on Saturday, there wouldn’t be any signing of any kind except for those who bought Angela merchandise. If you bought something, you could get in. People who didn’t want to buy stuff ( and how could you not with singles selling at $ 25 and $ 50 could get you a full CD or a shirt ? ) had to wait until the ENTIRE gimmick table was sold out. Eventually, people could get in, but the constant asking of “do you want to buy something ?” was cringe-worthy.

I know it’s something Otakuthon has no control over and it’s most likely a decision coming from J-Rock Productions -- and I'm aware the band didn’t come here out of pure goodness and they have to make money -- but man, I don’t think I ever seen that kind of business practice even at Comiccon....and they’re pretty much bottom-of-the-barrel thieves !

- The delay for Otakuthon Idol was really bad. I don’t know if it was due to FLOW going a bit overtime but the event didn’t really start before 17h00 ( scheduled for 16h00 ). They could have at least let us stay in our seats for the closing ceremony for compensation instead of doing the line all over again.

- The bottom of the escalators in Viger Hall should be a “no-photo zone” -- there were many times that people stood there and blocked the way. I haven’t seen any major incident, but there should be a bigger perimeter at the bottom so that circulation can go as smooth as possible.

Random crap

- So little feedback each and every year....how about doing one of those “participate in our survey and win ______” you see at every restaurant ? Maybe doing a draw of free weekend passes for next year could improve the amount of feedback received ?

- Why do I get the feeling that I’m the only one at Otakuthon that doesn’t follow One Piece, Naruto, JoJo, Dragon Ball & Tokyo Ghoul ?

- Can we do a year without Caramelldansen at the opening and / or closing ceremony ?

- To the person who sold the Metal Fighter Miku DVD box set at the Garage Sale : Thank you Brother / Sister. While I’m aware this show ain’t much, it’s one of the very first anime I have seen and never would have thought of being able one day to get my hands on the DVD. I owe you a bubble tea for next year !

- It would most likely involve a ton of work and planning, but here’s an idea : instead of ending the closing ceremony in the usual way, have a teaser / cliffhanger for next year that would get the crowd buzzing instead of hitting them with the Post-Con Depression Hammer.

Imagine ending the convention with something like “See you all next year ! …..but wait ! There’s one more thing someone wants to say to you : ” and then you show a 15-second Skype video or voiceover of ( just to throw a name out there ) Sayaka Ohara announcing she’ll be coming to Otakuthon next year and BOOM, you end the show with the dates for next year’s events ( even have a Majora's Mask style countdown just for giggles ) - - can you imagine the pop of the crowd and the “Shut up and take my Money !” hype already put in place for the next event ?

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:58 am

kikurukina wrote:
Edit by loki: please no overuse of quotes

The program book says August 5-7, 2016.

my apologize i didn't noticed at the end of the program book. thanks again. : )

Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:19 pm

Shinji-Kun wrote:
- Can we do a year without Caramelldansen at the opening and / or closing ceremony ?

KILL IT. KILL IT WITH FIRE.

Seriously - it's the reason why I don't go to the ceremonies anymore.

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:34 pm
Profile WWW

Shinji-Kun wrote:
-snip-

About the angela signing for Friday there was 2 lines. 1 for people who bought their merch and another line for people who didn't. I had planned on buying a CD anyway so I went into the VIP lane while the non was about 1/3 the length. About a half-hour into signing they announced no more photos were allowed and that people that didn't buy the merch would have to buy merch or leave. If you did buy merch and wanted something else signed you had to show angela's staff that you had actually bought something. If you were already in the line and didn't have something they could sign, aka a bracelet/etc.. you had to leave the line and buy something. It was quite sad.

Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:20 pm

And like i said earlier in thread,the line up for flow after the show was awful,we were stuck for a good 20 minute because the crowd control was meh and the women who was in charge of the merch was screaming to move in a line like a mad person and it was pissing a lot people off.Also,we didnt know what was the line for(my girlfriend and i didnt want to buy anything,we just wanted to leave because i had to do something right after the show) and we ended up in the merch line for 10 minute before someone told me that i could go and that the line was for the merch only.

Oh et j'veux pas parraitre chialeux,j'sais que le staff font le possible chaque années,pour les pré-inscription,quand vous inscrivez 12h le Jeudi,ca serait plaisant que vous soyez près vers 12h ou que vous changer l'heure,par ce que les inscription ont seulement commencer à rouler vers 2h et à mes souvenir c'pas la première fois que ca arrive en 5 ans(Vu que ca fais 5 ans que moi j'participe).Mais bon,c'pas un commentaire négatif,j'était super content d'avoir ma passe le jeudi et de pas perdre du temps Vendredi,mais si j'aurais su j'm'aurais apporter une ptite chaise de camping cette année ahah.

Otakuthon 2013
Mini-MTL Comicon
Winter G-anime 2014
Anime North 2014
Otakuthon 2014
Summer G-anime 2015
Otakuthon 2015

Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:32 pm

Small remark: The Lineup Room (220a) that leads to the Main Events Room or Dealers Room needs trashcans. People who had waste to dispose either had to wait till they left the room or simply tossed their trash on the floor - I saw empty chips bags, water bottles, food wraps and pieces of paper each time I lined up in that room. 3-4 trashcans in the "snake alleys" would've solved this problem.

Conventions 2016:
G-A? | NC? | AN? | MCC? | OTK | CTC? | OTKHP

Cosplay/Outfits 2015:
Black & green combat photographer attire | All-black combat photographer attire | White & navy war correspondent attire

dA for photos & news: http://henrickson.deviantart.com/ | Twitter for WIPs & live reports: https://twitter.com/Henrickson_
Flickr for high-quality shots: https://www.flickr.com/photos/henrickson1/albums

Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:11 pm
Profile WWW

Bons points:
+ Les invités
+ Les panels
+ Les cosplays
+ L'ouverture plus tôt le vendredi; sincèrement, BON move de la part de l'équipe ^_^
+ Guidebook; TRÈS utile

Mauvais points:
- Le prix de la nourriture... People, baissez le prix! Faîtes compétition avec les autre restos du Palais au minimum. 25$ pour un repas complet (sans dessert)? Ayoye...
- Le All-Star Voice Actor Panel le vendredi... n'est pas une bonne idée. D'habitude, il est soit le samedi ou le dimanche.
- Le Cosplay Chess était en même temps qu'un concert ET un panel Q&A (celui de Colleen), soit le samedi midi. D'habitude, c'est le dimanche que ça se déroule.
- DROO était un peu MAL placé dans l'Allée Marchande... On devrait lui donner une salle plus grande, quasiment AVEC la Cosplay Repair Room.

Pas mal tout... et malgré ce que j'ai moins aimé, j'ai adoré mon weekend ^_^

Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:28 pm

Très peu à dire de mal, alors on va faire la liste du bien:
-Commencer tranquillement à 11h le vendredi c'est superbe, moins de stress en général
-Avoir tout le Palais c'est superbe
-Que presque tout le monde aie le sourire dans la face c'est superbe
-La grosse dealer's room, il y avait un corridor direct entre l'entrée et la sortie (qui coupait par le café un peu) et ça circulait bien.

Le moins bon:
#StopCaramelldansen pour les activités officielles, ouverture/fermeture et mascarade, elle vieillit très mal, trèèèèès mal. La toune de pokemon est encore correcte. Je suis pas mal certain qu'il y a quelque chose d'autre qui pourrait être joué.
-Les green guys du contrôle de foule aurait presque dû être 4 en bas des escaliers roulants. Personnellement j'ai tapé quelques épaules en arrivant en bas quand quelqu'un s'arrêtait trop près de la fin des escaliers, faut pas attendre qu'il bouge faut qu'il sache mais c'est pas à moi de le faire. Très peu de plaintes sur les bénévoles de ce que je vois aussi.
-Si on peut sortir par les escaliers roulants du côté de l'entrée Riopelle, ça serait bien que ça se dise un peu plus. Si on pouvait monter par là du 2e au 5e encore mieux, ces escalators ont roulé toute la fin de semaine et vous aviez des bénévoles qui y étaient avec un employé du Palais, mais personne semblait savoir si c'était une entrée et aller demander aux gardiens. Mon hôtel étant de ce côté du bâtiment, j'aimerais bien que ce soit un passage.
-J'ai hâte que la fontaine de feu soit réutilisable comme fond de photo... 2 ans de suite avec des rénos autour...
-Hors de leur contrôle: Le Subway ne m'a pas remis de facture les deux fois que j'y ai été, et a été pas mal pingre sur le poulet la 2e fois... Ceux qui travaillent en restauration savent que ça coûte cher au Québec ne pas remettre une facture quand un inspecteur passe, juste tout ce que j'ai vu avant moi aurait été suffisant pour faire perdre leur profit de la fin de semaine...

Et vous ne faites pas ça clair que c'est ici que le feedback va. Y'a 4-5 feedback thread qui se sont partis dans le groupe officiel seulement et personne du staff va les lire, j'ai beau leur dire, mais j'ai aucune idée si le monde se donnent la peine de faire un compte...

Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:25 am
Otakuthon Coordinator

I thought I'd provide some comments on feedback to help people understand why some things are the way they are:

Prices in the dealer room, food, parking

We have no control over parking pricing or dealer room pricing. The palais parking is run by an independent company that the palais has no control over. For dealers, they set their own prices, and we have no say in the matter. The Canadian dollar is very weak right now, which may have something to do with higher pricing.

For food pricing, we have no direct control over it, and we do not get any money from it: the catering company that has exclusive rights to the palais sets the prices, and all we can do is try to convince them to lower prices. There are several very affordable restaurants elsewhere in the venue, and nearby. I frequent Subways often during the convention (because they are very quick to process the line of people), I heard very good things about Noobox, and Beijing in Chinatown is always a favourite among staff.

Badge quality

We've been looking into alternatives to the traditional paper badges for years, but any change that we make would have impacts in many other areas, from things as simple as "the existing registration printers can no longer be used" to "the entire registration process must be changed". It's possible that we might have something ready for 2016, but nothing is settled.

Cosplay is not consent

We do make mention of this several times throughout the convention, such as having MCs give reminders during events, but perhaps we could use more signage.

Traffic flow after FLOW concert

There is only so much we can do when 2500 people exit a single room at a time. We will try to optimize the flow around the merch table next year, and see if we can't do more to move people along.

Volume levels during concerts and other events

For the opening ceremonies it's noted (and I'll make sure that they are lower next year), but for big concerts (like FLOW, angela, and Your Favorite Enemies) they are using their own sound techs, so we don't have control over the volume levels for those concerts. As we have grown to take up almost the entire venue, it has become very difficult to avoid having loud noise disturb other events, and there are some cases that it is impossible to solve. Loud bass in 210 will always cause problems in 510/511, for example, and there isn't anything we can do about that. We've got some ideas to try to mitigate the issue in 516C, though: that problem is because there is a giant sliding door between 516C and 517A.

Closing Ceremonies delay

FLOW ran late, so Idol was delayed, so the closing was delayed. This is my fault for making the Sunday schedule in main events too packed, and I'll be sure that the schedule next year can better absorb delays. We'll also make sure to have staff use megaphones in the lineup room to inform people of delays.

"Premium" events

The plan is to have them every year (at least one). These are usually events where we couldn't justify the cost without the ticket sales subsidizing part of the cost. Big concerts can be really expensive to do!

Autograph sessions

It's a tradeoff between how much each person gets to talk to the guest, and how many people get to talk to the guest. We really need to keep the limit short so that more people can get autographs!

In terms of the merch sales in the autograph rooms, this is something that many guests insist upon in their contracts (in terms of prioritizing people who bought merch). It wasn't supposed to be that nobody from the non-merch line got autographs until the merch line was empty, though. It was supposed to alternate between the two lines, with more people coming from the merch line to give them priority. Next year we will make sure to fix this.

Caramelldansen

We've got a lot of negative feedback about it this year, so I'll see if we can't do something different next year.

2016 guest announcements at closing ceremonies

I was really close to pulling it off this year, but I just ran out of time...

Feedback

We are listening to all the feedback we find, be it at the feedback panel after the convention, on the forums, on facebook, to the feedback e-mail account, etc. We can't respond to everything, and we can't fix everything, and sometimes we get contradictory feedback, but we are taking everything into account.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:23 pm
Profile WWW

Much appreciated, thanks !

Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:55 pm
Otakuthon Staff

Je m'amuse à circuler entre l'opinion publique, la page officielle, les forums et les autres emplacements pour ce qui est des feedback, je ne puis inclure chacune des réponses et commentaires que je vois lorsque je me promène, mais je peux par contre accumuler et voir ce qui reviens le plus souvent pour pouvoir le dire de mon côté.

Il nous fait toujours plaisir d'être à l'écoute de vos commentaires et même si comme Guspaz dit nous ne pouvons tout régler, nous donnons toujours un grand effort à toutes ces réflexions.

Au plaisir de vous voir en 2016.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:54 pm

J'aimerais savoir par contre si y'a un moyen de donné du feedback sur les panel,J'parle du feedback dans l'genre les personne se sont présenté 20 minutes avant la fin du panel en plus d'être zero organisé pis ont avaient l'impréssion moi et plusieurs personne dans l'auditoire qu'elles ne prenait pas sa super sérieusement,j'peux comprendre que des incovenient ca arrive et s'pas tout l'monde qui est habitué,mais c'tait un peu poussé dans leurs cas et j'étais loins d'être le seule qui est sorti de la salle un peu déçu et grumpy.

Otakuthon 2013
Mini-MTL Comicon
Winter G-anime 2014
Anime North 2014
Otakuthon 2014
Summer G-anime 2015
Otakuthon 2015

Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:10 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 25 posts ]