This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
Mascot Contest Question 

In the rules, it states " The colors provided must be used. Feel free to use the following templates: " and links to this: http://www.otakuthon.com/2013res/pdf/OT ... olours.pdf

Does this mean the winning entry MUST be cell shaded using only the colour # listed for each layer?

Nowhere in the rules does it say the submission must be cell shaded, so I'm a bit confused, but in order to use only exactly these colours, it must be cell shaded so that only 2 blues are seen in the hair for example, not all the shades in-between getting from one colour to the other in soft shading.

So, do our submissions have to be cell shaded with no mood or lighting? Like this: http://jimmyray.deviantart.com/art/Cell ... 1-37896238 or can they be full shaded with artistic freedom on lighting like this: http://saiyagina.deviantart.com/art/Moo ... -313254821 . Does it really mean "use exactly only these two colours, colour #aaebta and #11geab on your palate" or does it mean to say "just make sure her hair is blue and not green and her skin is pail and not magenta"

The con also says that it must be "based" on her. So can the drawing can look different than the reference (our own ninja outfit or adaptation of the reff) or does it have to be exactly that outfit with no extra details?

Are there any examples of past winning entries (or even just random pictures) anywhere for a better idea as to what the con is looking for? The entries I've seen in the past have not been cell shaded and have not used the exact colours provided.

Tue May 07, 2013 4:34 pm

For the outfit, from what I can tell from other people who've asked the question it has to be the same one designed and presented in the contest.

For the colors...I'm as confused as you area...to me it only makes sense that this would be a general guideline since generally well, things look better to me shaded smoothly, and with shade variations in the highlight/shadows, though I don't see why it would specially need to be cell shaded anyway, though I'm not sure about any of it :<.

Boosting your post so you hopefully get an answer too, I'm curious!

Wed May 08, 2013 4:09 pm
Profile WWW

psycho-kitty wrote:
For the outfit, from what I can tell from other people who've asked the question it has to be the same one designed and presented in the contest.

For the colors...I'm as confused as you area...to me it only makes sense that this would be a general guideline since generally well, things look better to me shaded smoothly, and with shade variations in the highlight/shadows, though I don't see why it would specially need to be cell shaded anyway, though I'm not sure about any of it :<.

Boosting your post so you hopefully get an answer too, I'm curious!

If all they had provided where colour swatches for the base colours (like, eye one colour, hair one colour) then I'd think that too, but these swatches are like (eye: shadow colour, highlight colour, hair, base colour, shadow colour, highlight colour) that's really really specific. The last mascot type thing I saw that was this specific needed to be cell shaded, but was not written into the guidelines or rules either.

Wed May 08, 2013 4:48 pm
Otakuthon President

Hello Sambees,

The winning entry does not have to be cell shaded but the color pallet was provided to keep the base mascot colors consistent.
Variation in tones and highlights are fine as long as it stays true to the original mascot design provided.
Samples of the last mascot contest in 2009 can be found at:

http://gallery.otakuthon.com/2009mascotte/en.html

Last time we had a lot of variance, especially in Yurika's hair color (too light or too dark) therefore we provided a color pallet this time.
Feel free to use artistic discretion when selecting the shades and highlights. As for the outfit, it needs to respect the original character sketch provided as the theme was more restrictive this time.

Good luck with your entry!

Amanda Arrizza
Quebec Anime Committee President
Otakuthon Design and Branding Director

Wed May 22, 2013 2:13 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]