This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
Mascot Contest? 

Will there be any mascot contest this year? Being it's the 10th year anniversary.. I'd be surprised if not?

If there is planning of, is there a general ETA of when it'd be announced?

Thank you.

Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:59 pm
Otakuthon Staff

d4ni wrote:
Will there be any mascot contest this year? Being it's the 10th year anniversary.. I'd be surprised if not?

If there is planning of, is there a general ETA of when it'd be announced?

Thank you.

I don't think they have enough staff to handle the organization of a contest this year. :?

Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:27 pm
Profile WWW

That's a bit silly though isn't it? Being the 10th anniversary, doesn't take much to organize more or less copy paste a previous contest post and just change the theme. Doesn't take much monitoring until the end date, and all that is is everyone voting- or make the public vote.

I just hope they at least take some of this into thought, cause it'd be really sad if we don't have one. Didn't have one last year either.

Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:59 pm
Otakuthon Staff

d4ni wrote:
That's a bit silly though isn't it? Being the 10th anniversary, doesn't take much to organize more or less copy paste a previous contest post and just change the theme. Doesn't take much monitoring until the end date, and all that is is everyone voting- or make the public vote.

I just hope they at least take some of this into thought, cause it'd be really sad if we don't have one. Didn't have one last year either.

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as it looks...

I believe there was a reason why there wasn't one last year, and in fact, why there was only a total of 2 Mascot Contests in 10 years... As I said, I believe Otakuthon doesn't have enough staff to take care of it, and the Design Team is already pretty busy with the usual tasks. They would need an extra person dedicated to this task only.

First, you need to prepare the reference sheet with the outfit of the mascot. Once this is ready, redaction of the rules in both language (which basically need an update with new deadline dates, and prizes) and revision. Then send it to the website team so that they can publish it on the website, and of course, publicize it on social medias.

The person would need the right knowledge about printing and resolution, and would need to answer the questions of dozen of artists. We need to allow something like a month for the artists to create their illustrations. There is also the process of receiving / checking between 50 to hundreds of participations, making sure every single one of them rightly qualify (they received a lot that were too low res), then gather all this and prepare previews, send to the voting committee (or as you suggested, create a page for public voting, which would require additional coding, etc), prepare the announcement in both langage, and publish it on website and social medias, contact the winner and runner up, gather the infos of said winners for the prize (example : info for the badge and Artist table)... And finally, prepare the art the printing of the Program Booklet.

(and I might forget some steps...)

It looks easy and fast, but it does take a lot of time to prepare, and manage all of this. Unfortunately, I don't think any of the staff have the extra time, as they already are over booked with all the special stuff planned for the 10th Anniversary, and at this time of the year, we would already be late (need a few weeks to prepare everything, a month for the contestant, another few weeks for the rest, and there are the printing deadlines too!)

Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:19 pm
Profile WWW

I've done these things before myself so I understand the process. But 80% of the job is done. The text and references are complete. The printing you follow same as previous, but yeah a bit time consuming but yeah also I agree on the questions. If you don't have someone to handle that it's more of a task. But still manageable ... although it seems things get started up a bit too late to begin with. That's the key really.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:29 am

I sort of have to agree with d4ni on this. A lot of the information is already there from previous years and I think you're overcomplicating the fact by giving sooo many restrictions on the mascot. There's no need for color reference codes (there is no need for hex codes, just say blue or specifying an outfit, you're just limiting creaticity and palette. A sample image and a theme is all that's needed. Has long blue hair, look at previous images, let everyone figure it out. Resolution 300 ppi, dimensions whatever. I don't see why the need to break their head over this. If they can't understand very basic instructions and rules they can google it. Other cons are not so restrictive.

Agreeing that it is probably too late for this year and this would have been had to be announced much before, but perhaps take it into consideration for next year. And not just a 'best artwork; competition. The winner's mascot should be the one featured on the main website page and promo stuff, or at least open up the option for other artists to be able to draw the mascot.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:38 pm
Profile WWW

Yes! You worded it a lot better than I did. It really isn't complicated... just follow the general guidelines. There's still time for this year, they usually did it late around this time... but it all depends I suppose. They did open that thing to suggest contests. Most of us would.. but.. most of us would also like to enter it haha. Although shit... I'D write them the thread and set all the information up for them if they wanted and they just deal with the submissions and choosing the winners.

It'd really be a shame with out one... especially being an anniversary. Usually it's the first thing that goes up for conventions events.

Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:52 pm

Sorry, we do not have a mascot contest planned for this year. We may have one again in future years.

Also, note the design team is hiring: http://www.otakuthon.com/2015/open_staff_positions/
We are looking for vector illustrators and layout designers. If you think you have the skills required to join the design team please send us your portfolio with artwork demonstrating your skills!

Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:16 am
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 8 posts ]