This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
AMV Question about Avatar (the show) 

Didn't know where to post so I do it here.

This will be for me my first year coming to Otakuthon and to have a good start, I had the idea of participating at the AMV contest. I want to do one about Avatar because it's one of the best shows I have ever seen but the problem is.....Will it be accepted ? I mean, at the start of the serie, one half said it was an anime, the other half said it was a cartoon because it is american and since AMV is "Anime" Movie Video, I don't know if I'm allowed to do one.

Just asking. I would love to bring out my video editing skills :'D

Mon May 07, 2012 10:32 pm

Hiya, welcome to the forums!

Otakuthon General (where you originally posted) is to ask questions about Otakuthon in general. Since you're asking a question related to one of Otakuthon's events (the AMV contest), this topic is better suited for the Events & Programming section. This section also contains topics about past AMV contests, so you can feel free to check them out.

I also took the liberty to check the title of your topic just a bit, in order to incite past AMV contestants to see your post and possibly give you an answer.

I'm not sure how to answer your question, so I'm leaving it up to the AMV-makers of the forums. I'd say do it, since AMVs are supposed to be about a show that you love...but you bring out a valid point by mentioning that A in AMV stands for Anime, so this all comes down to "Are American cartoons considered as Anime or not?", which is an infinite debate amongst anime fans.

Hope you get your answer soon! ^^;

Otakuthon 2013 Cosplay Plans:
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! - Takanashi Rikka
Inu x Boku SS - Roromiya Karuta (Schoolgirl & Maid Version)
Wreck-It Ralph - Candlehead (Sugar Rush)

Like my cosplays? Follow my fanpage here!

Tue May 08, 2012 12:52 am
Profile WWW

From my experience, some amv contests accept them, some other simply don't.

Rules of this contest in the past years says that:

-The majority of the video footage must be from anime (Japanese animation) or from Japanese video games (e.g. Final Fantasy XIII).
-Live action or other sorts of animation footage are acceptable provided that they are not a dominant part of the video

So unless a strict autorithy pass by to deny what I said, you simply can't. I saw every Otakuthon amv contest so far and never saw a single one only based on an american/fanmade/other animation meaning either there was none or they disqualify them.

The idea is interesting tough, I have a lot of difficulty figuring how making art with cartoon can be different than with amvs.

Well, rules of this year are not out yet. You can still wish or contact the director directly.

Wed May 09, 2012 4:55 pm
Profile WWW

same as general-guy.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:16 am

T'es en retard de 2 mois spece de fou ^^!

Gahahahaha! Le dealine maintenant passé, j'Ai bien hâte de voir ce qui a été récolté cette année!

Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:42 am
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]