This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
Feedback wanted for Main Events and Theatre 
Otakuthon Coordinator

Hi folks,

I'm responsible for planning out the technical side of the main events and theatre rooms at the con (working out the technical requirements, room layouts, equipment, budgets, etc), and I'm hoping to get some feedback. Does anybody have any comments on the main events or theatre rooms they'd like to share?

I'm mostly interested in comments about the rooms rather than the events (unless there was a problem with the room that caused issues for the events), but I can certainly pass on feedback about the events too. Basically, any feedback you guys have is super valuable: it's sometimes hard to figure out what we need to improve next year when we're concentrating on technical stuff rather than enjoying the show as an attendee does :) Here's some stuff that I'm already aware of to get the ball rolling:

- The stage in the theatre was too low, making it hard to see the performers in some shows (such as the 404s late-night show)

I had a 2-foot stage in there this year, I'm definitely going to bump that up to a 3-foot stage (same as main events) next year. Do you guys think that the main events stage should be raised a foot, or stay the same as this year?

- The sound system in the theatre was bad, making it hard to understand the performers. There were also lots of problems with the wireless microphones during the 404s show

I've got some ideas about how to improve this next year, this is definitely something that I want to improve on next year. It was the first year we did the theatre, so it was definitely a learning experience!

- The cameraman in main events was sometimes distracting to the audience

Unfortunately there's not that much I can do about this, we really need a cameraman near the stage to get the close-up shots we just can't get from a hundred feet away at the back of the room. I'll ask him to wear black next year, though, which should help :P

- The picture in the masquerade overflow room was really bad, it was hard to see details. Also, the overflow room was full!

What you saw on the screen was my "plan B", so the picture quality wasn't great... I've talked to people organizing other shows at the Palais, who gave me some ideas about how to do this way better. I'm also going to look for a bigger room for next year's overflow room so that more people can see it. I think we need at least two or three times the number of seats!

- The stage in the theatre was not wheelchair-accessible. My friend in a wheelchair couldn't participate in the cosplay RPG battle.

This is totally my bad: I completely forgot about this when doing the layout for the stage in the theatre. I'm going to try to fit a ramp backstage for the theatre next year. Oddly enough, somebody made a similar comment about the stage in main events, which is probably a mis-communication of some kind because the primary access in that room is two giant ramps backstage (to make it easier for cosplayers to get on stage during the masquerade).

So, that's some of the feedback I've got so far, please lend a hand and give some of your own ^_^

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
Super Moderator / Forum Director

Moved to programing as it will mostly fit in that area more then the sugestion box ;)

Costuming.org forums

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:47 pm
Profile WWW

Just one bit of feedback: except for the orchestral performances, the volume was always just a little too loud in every room. I think this has been a problem in the past too, but this year it seemed louder in every room. Someone should really test the volume on the speakers for someone standing at the very back of any given room.

Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:57 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]